A blog for the students of the AAJA Radio project.

Thursday, June 22, 2006

What a culture shock. People do the star trek thing here, except with the thumb and pinky which they shake around and say "shaka" whenever something happens. There's also "Da Kine" which to me, sounds like a shepherd referring to his cattle. And I crossed the street in a wide-eyed panic, after walking behind some Sveltish stick-figure wearing a bikini right in the city -- but at least it wasn't a thong.

"Why would anyone want to wear geisha shoes on their jewelry?"
"Those are flip-flops. Wow. You're really out of your element, aren't you?" my Honolulu-fluent mentor informed me the other day.

Yes, yes I am. It's WILD. Absolutely wild, and I am loving every minute of it.

I'm working late tonight so that I can hopefully climb the Upper Waimano Trail tomorrow - a 14-mile hike around Pearl City. It's a pipe dream, but my radio segment on the Diamond Head hike keeps me hoping. The 11 of us went to the AAJA Awards Ceremony this afternoon where everyone got to hear our slideshow. The response was really great, and the whole convention laughed at David's teaser. Can't wait for it to air!

-Jen Chang

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home