A blog for the students of the AAJA Radio project.

Monday, June 19, 2006

It’s hard to work when paradise surrounds you. But what’s even harder is to not go around Hawaii and explore all that AAJA’s student radio project offers – to complete my first radio story.

Here was today’s check list:
§ Turn in focus statement to Traci, the editor
§ Research Korean dramas online
§ Conduct first interview at International Marketplace
§ Log and track session

Today I also had lunch outside the “Pink Palace” with my mentors Wilma Consul and Reena Advani. Wilma told me to take full advantage of this project and more importantly, of my internship at National Public Radio. It is essential, she says, to impress not only your supervisor but the people who give you the smaller assignments. They will be the ones who have something meaningful to say when your application is on the table as a temporary after your internship.

Temporary?!

I just officially started reporting for the radio this June… it’s amazing to dream in my lounge chair about where I’ll be working in a couple years – temporary or not. I hope that wherever I end up in the world will be like Hawaii, as the AAJA convention describes – “where diversity lives.”

I look forward to the rest of the week.

-- Ko Woon Im

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home